Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Optimistic

(cont'd)

Everyone encounters disappointing circumstance.  The difference between an optimist and a pessimist is how he explains it.  A pessimist may describe the lost sale or the poor grade in school as Permanent, Pervasive, and Personal - "It always happens this way, nothing goes right, and everything(one) is against me."  Easy to see how this leads to a feeling of helplessness!

But you can learn to think differently, think realistically, think optimistically.

Dr. Seligman (Learned Optimism) suggests using the power of Disputation.  When your mind presents you with an explanation like the above, dispute it.  Ask questions before you buy into it:  But what did I do right?  Haven't I succeeded in other things?  Seriously, has the universe gone out of its way to pick me for failure?  Don't let the negative conclusion settle in with no resistance.

Think of an optimist you know, how she would explain the adversity to herself.  She might say, "I've done better before and I will again," or "I know my mistake and can correct it," or "It wasn't perfect but it was an improvement."

And if you are a Believer, you have even more resources.  You remind yourself that God is good and that His plan for your future is full of Hope - not hopelessness.

No comments:

Post a Comment