Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Introvert

When I reserved Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking at the library, there were 500 people ahead of me!  It took about six months to finally get the book, and Hennepin County Library system (Minneapolis and suburbs) has 109 copies.   It was on the  NY Times bestseller list.  And Bill Gates counts the author's TED talk as a favorite.

Somehow this self-identified introvert woman has really made headlines, and it cannot have happened by accident.    So, she put herself out there in uncomfortable situations by speaking in public and promoting and doing whatever she had to do, all to affirm that it's really ok to be an introvert who likes to do none of this.  Interesting.

Author Susan Cain says on her website,  "I’m actually not sure if I went to the cafés to write or wrote so I could sit around in cafés, which is my favorite activity."

Here's her TED Talk, which has been viewed by 4.7 million people  She says that introverts should be allowed to 
do what they do best (see my post "Strengthen Your Strengths"), and that is to think and create in solitude.  

No comments:

Post a Comment