Friday, October 10, 2014

Focused teen

One focused person, a teenager, a girl in Muslim Pakistan, is making a difference. She is gradually training people of her village and others to stress good traditions, and to quit bad traditions. Her story:

"My friend was murdered by her own family. She wanted to marry someone she liked, and she had proposed that idea to her mother. Her mother, who was very scared, frantically shared this news with her father. They planned her murder by taking her away from home and killing her."  

Khalida was rocked by the murder, and she started a movement against honor killings.  She's campaigned door to door, started embroidery classes - and changes her strategy when it's needed.

 "I see myself as part of a big campaign for our future. I know that things are going to be very, very different and amazing for my country."

Go here to see this amazing woman speak in Rio de Janeiro at TED Global 2014. 

No comments:

Post a Comment