Thursday, August 29, 2013

First generation faith

(cont'd)

Author Rod Dreher (The Little Way of Ruthie Leming) as a teenager
rejected his parents' Christianity along with their small town point of view, but he chose genuine faith later - on his own, starting with an experience in the cathedral of Chartres, France.  


photo:  destination360.com

He sensed there that God was challenging his view of reality, the one overwhelming impression that stayed with him after that first trip to Europe.  It's not a common track to faith, but God doesn't shrink from using whatever you give Him to work with.   Rod eventually became Catholic.

So where does he stand today?  From his blog last week:  

"I pray that the choice is never put to me, but if I am ever forced to make that choice [between serving the state or God], I will always and everywhere choose God, without apology. I am a Christian first, and an American second."

He is a first generation Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment