Thursday, November 24, 2022

At the table

As an immigrant to America, Olga says "Without exception, every year that I have lived here, someone has always invited me over for a Thanksgiving meal. Someone has always welcomed me at their table." 

She loved seeing "how American families celebrate this holiday. They slowed their pace of life. Families spent long, unhurried hours together eating, talking, playing games, and enjoying warm Texas weather (instead of the below-freezing November temperatures I was used to in Eastern Europe)."

Today is an American holiday based on our history - originally for the purpose of thanking God for harvest, for independence, for blessings. "The welcoming of strangers, the gratitude for the daily blessings, the joy of breaking bread (or a turkey wishbone) together have made me fall in love with the people of this country."

As you have the opportunity, invite someone to your table for a holiday. It made a big difference to Olga. It was through the "openness, generosity and hospitality shown me by so many Christians that I encountered Jesus, who also invites us to God’s lavish table."

from The Stream

No comments:

Post a Comment