Monday, September 23, 2019

Blind to it

A young woman sits in a hipster coffee shop, puts her phone down, and looks around. She sees "people talking freely, working on their MacBooks, ordering food they get in an instant, seeing cars go by outside, and it dawned on me. We live in the most privileged time in the most prosperous nation and we’ve become blind to it."

Even the American poor can hardly compare to the the poor of the rest of the world. "Virtually no one in the United States is considered poor by global standards. Yet, in a time where we can order a product off Amazon with one click and have it at our doorstep the next day, we are unappreciative, unsatisfied, and ungrateful."


A young politician claimed recently that her generation has never seen American prosperity.

"Never saw American prosperity. Let that sink in. When I first read that statement, I thought to myself, that was quite literally the most entitled and factually illiterate thing I’ve ever heard in my 26 years on this earth."

from "Thoughts from a Hipster Coffee Shop"

No comments:

Post a Comment