Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Venezuelans flee

(cont'd from yesterday's post)

Venezuelan doctors who work under these conditions are frustrated. 

A recent graduate of medical school now works in a fast food restaurant instead of in medicine. He says he feels bad about not practicing his profession but "right now it is my life and future . . to help my family to get out of this madness." He plans to leave.

“In Venezuela, it feels like we are all just dying slowly and there’s no hope for a change. I don’t care if I’m gonna work as a doctor or not. I just want to have food, medicines, security, a house, a car, and be able to give a good life to my loved ones."

"Every day we see people dying for diseases that we know exactly how to cure but when you don’t even have gloves, masks, gauzes, medicines or some big but necessary equipment, it’s too hard."

Last May my husband and I met a young Uber driver from Venezuela in Orlando. He's married, going to school, working, and has big plans. He sends money to his parents in Venezuela, and says it's just too hard for them to leave at this time in their lives.

He's on trend: "More than half of Venezuelans between 15 and 29 want to move abroad permanently."

photo: washingtonexaminer

(cont'd tomorrow)

No comments:

Post a Comment