Friday, June 23, 2017

Social capital

Note: for reason/excuse why yesterday's post didn't come up, see Tuesday's post! Same thing, sorry.

Sometimes a young person looking for a toe-up in the job world feels inadequate or unqualified. There's advice offered in this article that could change things, because she/he has something to offer that goes beyond degrees or certificates. Here's how the author leveraged his value:

"I had met somebody . . with whom I kept in touch and I knew was building a company  . . I knew he had a ton of things to get done. He was busy launching a company while working at another company and taking care of his wife and kids.

"I offered to take some work – any work – off his plate.
You make deposits when you create surplus value for others that isn’t captured by cash money.
In time, I was hired full-time and given equity in the company – something I could never have achieved in such a short time if I made my case based on “qualifications.”
"It is from this position that i've been able to publish a book, appear on major news networks, meet mentors and new business partners I would have never otherwise interacted with on my old track."
"Value-creation is the core of getting ahead. While your peers are busy racking up credentials, you can start racking up social capital."

No comments:

Post a Comment