Saturday, April 13, 2013

Faith isn't

When it comes to faith, a clarification is in order.  If it means a series of stories or "narratives" that we like to listen to, or a culture we enjoy, this is not enough.  If it's true for me but not for others, this is not enough.  It's not the faith of the Bible.

Darrow Miller explains the transformation he went through when his friend told him that "Christianity is true even if you don't believe it:"

"One of the milestones in my life was 1969 in L’Abri, Switzerland. Marilyn and I were studying  with the Schaeffers. We were living in the home of Udo and Debbie (Schaeffer) Middelmann. One Sunday evening Udo said to me “You know, Christianity is true even if you do not believe it!” These words were a shock to me. In church, in my discipleship program, and in seminary, I had been taught that Christianity was true precisely because I believed it."  (read the post)

No comments:

Post a Comment